With all the talk about black walnuts on the Quiltart list I decided that since I live where they are plentiful that I would dye some cotton. Thanks to my DH who picked all these up on our last camping trip.
The first photo is the start of the pot. I decided to do the direct mordant method since I’m not a dyer. I have soft water so all I did was add Alum and Cream of Tartar to the pot.
Of course the fabric was scoured first. Also, the cotton I use is a pima cotton with a slight gray cast to it. Hey, it was a monster roll at a yard sale for $5 so I always use what I have.
The bottom photos are the results of this dye pot. I tried different rinses according to my book “Colors From Nature” but there was no noticeable difference in the pieces when they dried.
I also wasn’t concerned with even color since I really like the little oddities that come about from not stirring the pot. Now I have added some previously dyed fabrics to the pot along with cotton batting and some cheese cloth. They will come out tomorrow and I will post the results.