Black Walnut Dye #2

 Since the walnut dye pot was still on the stove I pulled a couple of previously dyed fabrics from my stash to see what happened with an over dye. The blue is from an indigo vat, the print was dyed with MX dyes and the one piece is rust dyed.

I also put a piece of hot pink cotton, some cheese cloth and a piece of white cotton batting in the pot.   I put them all in at the same time which was a leap of faith but probably not something I should have done. I’m not a dyer, I only play once in awhile if the occasion arises.

I think either the indigo or the rust piece still had residue from the original dye. Which ever one it was, and I suspect the indigo,  saddened the dye. So instead of a nice soft brown in the white areas, I got a soft gray. You can see it in the last photos.

I think I like the rusted piece the most but there are no ugly fabrics. They all have a place in a piece that isn’t  created yet.

Fall Days to Dye for

 With all the talk about black walnuts on the Quiltart list I decided that since I live where they are plentiful that I would dye some cotton.  Thanks to my DH who picked all these up on our last camping trip.

The first photo is the start of the pot. I decided to do the direct mordant method since I’m not a dyer. I have soft water so all I did was add Alum and Cream of Tartar to the pot.

Of course the fabric was scoured first. Also, the cotton I use is a pima cotton with a slight gray cast to it. Hey, it was a monster roll at a yard sale for $5 so I always use what I have.

 The bottom photos are the results of this dye pot. I tried different rinses according to my book “Colors From Nature”  but there was no noticeable difference in the pieces when they dried.

I also wasn’t concerned with even color since I really like the little oddities that come about from not stirring the pot. Now I have added some previously dyed fabrics to the pot along with cotton batting and some cheese cloth. They will come out tomorrow and I will post the results.