Watercolor Poinsettia

I’m in a small yahoo group of like minded artists.  We have respect for each others talents and knowledge, we critique each others work without fear of being slammed. When we defend our artistic position of a piece, we are listened to and the others may understand the piece more…or not.

We’ve been having discussions lately about painting and sketchbooks. I think that’s because we have all signed up for the online workshops at Strathmore Artist Studios. Sorry, I tried to do a link on this for you but it will only take me to my sign in page for the workshops. Give it a Google if you are interested.

Back to the subject at hand. Here is the first watercolor I tried after giving it up in school. The important thing for me with this piece is that I threw out ALL THE RULES from school. This would have simply been a muddy mess. I was pleased enough with it to do some other watercolors.

Besides throwing out the rules, I also discovered that like the oriental brushwork I was doing at the time, it takes a gentle delicate hand. I can’t do this kind of work if I’m stressed or uptight. I must take deep breathes and relax all my muscles to have control of the medium.  HMMMMM, sounds to me like this should be a daily activity.

ATC Tutorial; Or how the lazy artist does it!

I joined the Upper Valley Art League here in the Rio Grande Valley. On Thursday’s there is an open painting day. I needed to work on ATCs for the trade group I belong to and the theme for the trade was “green” interpreted any way you chose. This is the 8 x 10 watercolor I worked on to start my ATCs. Nothing says green to me more than a green lettuce garden.

I didn’t add lots of detail to the painting since I wanted to emphasize it with stitching. I used a bright turquoise cotton thread and free motion quilted/stitched the design. The backside looks really cool!


The next thing I did was lightly mark the ATCs on the front side of the watercolor. I was able to get nine 2.5 x 3.5 ATCs from this piece. After marking them, I added some vines to each individual card. I used white acrylic, accented with both pink and gold metallic pens and a bit of black pigma pen for depth.

There was only a small amount of waste cut off. Here you can see the piece as I divided it into individual cards. The last steps were to satin stitch each card to fabric backs. The watercolor paper was heavy enough that I didn’t need to add additional layers in the center.

I love the way these turned out, very organic and a little abstract. I hope the group enjoys them, too!