My book cover is done. It had a coat of matte vanish applied after takng the photo. I also repaired the leaves on the edge. A photo is a great way to discover things that your eye doesn’t always see. Now it is ready for all the wonderful art from the other artists in my book collaboration project. Love how easy it was to put the group together.
TEXT-ure was a really good prompt for me. I had to go outside the norm of what you would expect from a text prompt. Black and white text or varying the size of text, spelling out words, etc just wasn’t doing it for me. I needed to create texture with text.
Inspired by Cynthia St. Charles’ blog with her daily postcards, I decided to go through a stack of magazines to see what would float my boat. I found advertisements with white text and brilliant colors that I liked.
I tore through the text so it wasn’t readable and arranged it on a card to create movement. Good, but not great as far as creating texture. So I got out my sample paints from the paint store of the Pantone color of the year Radiant Orchid. By painting over the collage, the torn edges absorbed the paint. Now we’re cooking! I really liked the texture created.
Then I accented some of the text and edges with white. and painted over a few of the white letters to bring them forward. Here you can see 4 of the cards, they are all different but still a series of original little art works.
Check out the other great art on Off The Wall Friday.
Do you remember those 8 x 10 glossies I showed you a picture of before? The piece is completed and submitted. I’m happy to have it done. Below are photos of some of the process.
And here is the completed piece. The editor said she will notify me when it comes out. I’m linking to Nina Marie’s Off The Wall Friday since this is really off my wall now!
The American Craft Council offered photographs from their archives to any artist who would submit a proposal and agree to use them in a contemporary art work. I thought it sounded intriguing so I asked for photos and sent them my proposal to use them in a fiber piece, aka: art quilt. I sat and looked at the photos for a long time, photocopied them, cut them apart, arranged and re-arranged them. Nothing was really getting my juices flowing. Finally I decided I would treat them as a piece of fabric. Suddenly a vision was in my head. The first step to using what I was given was to rust them. I wasn’t sure how they would turn out but I was pleased. Here is the pile out of the rust pan and dried ready for use. Stay tuned for more on this project. Check out the other quilt artists on http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/