I won’t take up your valuable time with the full saga of my cheap mid-arm machine. But I can tell you it is also a problem for other people who own this machine. It is sad that like me, I am pretty sure others felt it was all operator error. Now, I don’t know about them, but I have been free motion quilting for over 30 years. Yes, there is a small learning curve on a commercial machine but there should be no reason to have to start from scratch.
This machine has some built in flaws that cause every owner I have come to know the same problems. The main one is tension. A lot of thread breakage, bird nests, eyelashes and pokies. More than normal and more than even a beginner should have to put up with. Ron is learning and of course he thought it was him, not the machine. Then I did a couple of pieces with the same problems. Nope, not him.
I have completely torn the machine down once and reset timing…that thing the Mfr said should never be done. That worked for awhile until it was shipped to have handles attached. I am not afraid to disassemble a machine. It’s simple to do, it’s getting it back together that might be hard, hahaha. Actually I do it all the time with other machines.
I made up my mind that I will fix this machine or know why it can’t be fixed. So far I have tried some of the tutorials on the Innova long arm site. The guts of my machine and the Innova are very similar. So far this has given me a passable stitch, I am showing some pictures of before and after. WARNING these are not pretty or for quilt police! But passable isn’t good enough. I need consistent good trouble free stitching. I have some modifications in mind that I think will permanently fix this machine.
If they don’t work, I guess I will be getting out my checkbook!