Do you believe this?

After Easter in 2013, the local Dollar General marked all the Paas Egg Dye down to a nickle.  I bought all that was left on the shelf to dye small amounts of wool and silk.   For a $2 investment I got a LOT of dye. When I got home I took it all out of the boxes to save space and put it away for safe keeping.

On more than one occasion I have torn this house apart, my studio, weaving shelves, dye room, bathroom, any place I could stuff or stick a box. Nothing. HA!  Those dyes must have gone into Holiday misfit heaven.

This morning I was cleaning off the shelf above the clothes dryer. I needed the shelf to store the feather pillow inserts I purchased for eco-dyed pillows. At the back of the shelf was the old blue granite pot I used before I got stainless dye pots. Guess where all those boxes have been hiding.  The mystery is solved, and  I can dye this winter with my new found wealth.

PAAS Medium Friends Easter Egg Decorating Kit


Urban Creep Fabric Design , Oh My!

I was thrilled to get my cuts of my design, Urban Creep,  in the Urban Textures Fabrics Collection from Andover Fabrics. I made a sample quilt for them to take to market. I also had to write instructions and that was not really easy. I don’t know Electric Quilt and I tried . I really tried. So the instructions are what I would use if I was giving a workshop on the quilt.  It is more of a plan than an actual pattern. The fabric is so unique that many quilts out of the fabric using the plan would not look alike.

Here is a close up of one section of the quilt.    The yellow and red are from the same fabric so you can see some of the color shifts and how versatile  each color way can be.  I used a design from Leah Day to quilt the piece with a modern motif.

Urban Textures Fabric, Urban Creep

New Eco and Rust dyeing Results

I have been totally slammed this month with deadlines and daily life. Part of the reason is that I have been going to therapy 3 days a week for back problems. Each of those days was a complete waste since I would be so tired afterwards I couldn’t think about making art.

Ron has been helping create in the dye room. He is as enamored of the serendipitous results as I am. So here are some photos of our results, they have been laundered and are on the drying rack, soon ready to go to new homes. Enjoy!

Remember…right click for a larger image to see details.


leaf dyed scarf dawes leaf dyed silk dawes silk rayon scarves dawes

Eco Print Tee Shirts for Fall


Ron and I have been printing scarves and such while we have good weather. I love this tee!  It is printed with dogwood, smoke bush and fern fronds.  A funny thing is happening with our prints. We weren’t thrilled with the results at first, pale and lack-luster. So I took a page from some literature on persimmon dyeing and plunged this in baking soda water. I got this amazing gold color.  Who knew!

The shirts and things we are doing will be for sale at the Art Odyssey Christmas sale at the library in November.  Well, unless they are sold sooner!

Here is another one that has the bundle marks on the back and the dogwood is much greener.

DSCN0310 DSCN0311

thinking of winter and warm quilts on the bed

Every year the small town across Bull Shoals Lake has town wide garage sales. Its been OK sometimes but other times it is either the dirtiest stuff you’ve ever seen or someone buys commercial things and sets up a show room…not my idea of good sales. It was cold and rainy on Friday and Ron and I had some work to get done at home so we waited until Saturday to go across the dam..

The first place we stopped didn’t look like much but I spied a large jar I thought would be useful in the dye room so I hopped out while Ron kept the motor running…remember it was COLD!  That jar was plastic so it wouldn’t do and I thought it was a wasted stop. Then I turned around and under a table was a bin of…….QUILT TOPS.  Not vintage yet, but probably from the 90’s judging by the tiny floral calico fabrics used.

The lady said her mother was the quilter and she has over 200 finished ones. She begged me to take the quilts for $20 for the entire box. I didn’t  take the time to look closely because they had to be worth a few dollars each, right? I whipped out a 20 and the lady stuffed some strip piecing templates, rotary cutter and mat and sewing machine attachments in the box. What a deal.

The box had 5 tops in it. 2 were king size, 2 twin/full and one baby. The twin/full ones could benefit from borders to make them queen size. I decided to keep this one and have it quilted. It has a modern quilt look to it. My friend Susan Berres is going to help me baste it. Then I should be able to quilt it on my Sunshine 16.  There is nothing as cozy on cold nights as a cotton quilt!


Art Quilts XIX: Permission to Play Storytelling Art Quilts

Yippee Skippee!  I had a piece accepted into this exhibition at Vision Gallery to be held at the Chandler Center for the Arts, November 7, 2014 to January 17, 2015.

I had 2 pieces I finished for another exhibition that I missed the deadline for. Because I could enter 3 pieces for the jury fee I added a last minute art quilt. Well of course you know it was that last minute piece titled “Skritch Skratch” that was accepted!  When I did this I told Ron that I knew which piece they would take if I was juried in.

I think my comments were prophetic. It isn’t the first time I’ve said something like this that came true. I think I need to channel my  words so more good things happen. Seriously, I believe that positive thinking helps good things happen and activity in your art also makes good things happen. Its like the lottery, you can’t win if you don’t play and you rarely win the first time.

A complete listing of the accepted artists can be seen HERE . I have never shown a photo of the quilt so won’t start now, sorry! Guess you will have to go to the exhibit to see it.